Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tea Time




I plan to use blue bias tape to liven this fabric combo up a bit. I have tried and tried to find a match but each shade of blue was off in one way or another.  I had no luck finding the right color bias tape or the the right color fabric in order to make my own bias tape.  So, I decided to take matters into my own hands.
         I bought prepared bias tape in a bright blue color brought it home and tea stained it.
I put the bias tape in hot tea then rinsed when I had the color I liked.  You can also use coffee if you need a darker stain.  I practiced a lot on small pieces until I had the time and rinse down pat for the color of my
choice. I then stained it all and rinsed it in cold water.



I ironed it back to shape while wet.


Here is how the tea stained bias tape looks sewn on the fabric and below is the original blue.  This really worked well to tone down the color and get a good match.  All this tea talk makes me thirsty for a Long Island ice tea. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment